Friday, February 04, 2005

I need coffee

So I woke up this morning about an hour early because my cat decided it was time to play chase the moving (insert body part here) under the blanket. I like my cats, but I get really frustrated when they interrupt my sleep. I value my sleep, and I work hard to make sure I get approx. seven hours every night. We used to sleep with the door closed so that the cats couldn't bother me (Deb doesn't mind), but then our bedroom door started squeaking whenever it was opened. Deb was in the habit of coming to bed late in that period of our life, so when ever she came to bed she would wake me up. I was to lazy to go out and buy WD-40, so I decided we would try sleeping with the door open. It has worked well in general (I only get mad at the cats now, not Deb), but every now and then I just get the urge to through the cats through a window.
I had a weird dream last night. It was one of those fun vivid ones that stick with you all day, and make you wonder if you are doing something wrong with your life. Actually, I had two, but I am only writing about one as the other is to disturbing to put into words. I was in my bosses' office for my annual review. She told me that I was doing a great job, but sorry you do not get a raise this year, nor the raise that you deserve. At that point I proceeded to chew her out for her incompetent management style. She then said, "sorry, I didn't realize you had been working here that long".
The disturbing part is that I have my review in 11 days, and I have a feeling that is close to what is going to be happening. I am getting reviewed by a boss who has only spoken to me personally twice this year, and a lead who has not given me any assignments. I have another lead, who does give me work, and who I work with on a regular basis, but for whatever reason he is not invited to the meeting. It is hard to get ahead in life when the person who sees your work does not have a chance to evaluate you. It certainly doesn't help that I started this job underpaid, and that my co-worker is making $25k more than me for the same job. When did technical merit stop being a valuable commodity? I know that my customer appreciates me, which helps me stick to the job, but when will my management get a clue?

Two funny things:
When I ran the spell check, it thought I should replace "Deb" with "Debby"
I can't spell reveiw correctly.

1 comment:

Kiti said...

Deb would like to say, don't *ask* for things, *tell* your managers what they're going to do for you. =)
It works for me.