Friday, July 22, 2005

The Phantom of the What Now?

Deb and I have finally sat down to watch the 2004 version of the Phantom of the Opera. Before I get into my story, let me give you a little background. To start off with, the Phantom of the Opera has always been my favorite musical, and is pretty much what got me into them in the first place. I first heard it when I was 16 (or there abouts) when I bought the highlights CD from the original cast recording. I thought that such songs as "The Music of the Night" were some of the most amazing songs ever writen (in english anyway). When I went to New York in '97 I was able to see the musical on Broadway, and I loved it. There were a couple of places where I cried because of how beautiful the music was (heck, I'm crying now just thinking about it). There were bit where the Phantom was singing and it was just so pure. I think that was part of the appeal that allowed it to rise above the crappy techno score. The actors and actresses were so talented that they were able to make a musical that was about the purity and perfection of music, and its abilitiy to transfix one's soul, stand out and appear to have true meaning.

Now, fast forward to right now. We are sitting here watching the 2004 version (as I before mentioned) and I crying yet again; at the appalling representation of the original that the scam artists that they like to call writers have tried to pull off on us. The singers are unbeliveably horrible! The only main charecter that can come close to being able to sing on the level that is required is Christine. Unfortunately, even she cannot pull off the role. Her music is flat (as in unemotional, not off key) and does not pull you into the part. In the Angel of Music, her singing is supposed to represent absolute purity, and she is walking around with a bemused look on her face singing from the back of her throat. Meg's part is even worse; in fact I won't go in to it as it is so bad. She tried hard, but something is just not there. Now, let us move on to the part of the Phantom. His voice is supposed to be so entrancing that it would cause Christine to leave all sense of reason behind, but in this movie, he is slaughtering the part by singing from the back of his throat as well. It is completely unbelievable when he leads Christine down to his lair, as she is supposed to be practically hypnotized with his voice. I would have ran away screaming even before she took off the mask. The "Music of the Night" is one of the most beautiful peices of music ever writen in the english language, and it made ME want to run away screaming. Sigh... I can't go on. If you have not seen this travesty, please don't unless you have first heard the original.

Fortunately, the supporting cast was quite excellent. Minnie Driver as Carlotta was brilliant. Raoul was fairly competent as well. Unfortunately when it comes down to it, the heart of this musical is the music. If the main charecters can't sing worth a highschool education, then it just isn't worth watching.

OK, wait for it, we are just getting to the most emotional part of the movie for me (end of the first act). Let us see how it plays out...

Ok, Raoul can still sing, Christine can't, and the Phantom... (wait for it...)
Oh, nope, Raoul messed it up, (haven't got to the Phantom yet) in the part where he sings, "Christine I Love You", he was sadly lacking in emotion.

This just in, the Phantom ruined it. While he was quite emotional he still just cannot sing. He did the whole emotion thing very well. He really is quite the good actor. He just can't sing.

That being said, the cinamatography was for the most part very good. There were a couple of cheezy parts where they tried to emmulate the play, instead of starting from scratch for film, but besides that I enjoyed it; especially the flash forward parts.

Sigh... That is all... I'm off to languish through the second act. I'll let you know if it improves.

Love you all.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I actually really like it and didn't like the stage show. Perhaps I saw a bad production. I think Emmy Rossum is amazingbut her acting needs help. Raol was my favorite in both the movie and on stage.

Unknown said...

For those of you that read it early, it is spelled Raoul. I mis-spelled it.

Unknown said...

I actually liked Emmy Rossum's acting. It was just her singing that made me hurt.

Mama Mia said...

I actually didn't much care for Emmy's acting but enjoyed the somewhat childlike tilt of her voice. I thought it added a bit of naievity. However, in general, I though both boys ruined it and were upstaged by a girl half their age. But I guess it's just a personal taste issue for most of it. =P